Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Q&A

I used to sing when I was younger (18 and under) and always thought I would pursue music. However after getting married I left it all behind.
I had always been told that I have a very pleasant and soothing voice over the years. I missed music but lost interest in it because I couldn't make enough time for, not to mention trying to keep a bunch of other musicians together. (I am 50 now) Several months ago I realized Karaoke and I feel like a kid again... I am in love with singing and I find that I can sing many many songs very well. I am always told that I have a beautiful voice.. but I (like many) wish I could reach some higher notes. I am using my falsetto voice but I am not always happy with it sound's like. For instance I do The Lion Sleeps Tonight very well with my falsetto voice. I really want to be sure I am using my voice to it's fullest potential and maybe pursue more before I lose it as I age. Is it wise to attempt to find a teacher somewhere? Thanks for any advice...


In general finding a teacher is the first step in the process of improving your voice. Unfortunately not all teachers are created equal. Most can help to some degree, some more and some less. Others can be actually damaging to the voice and the singer ends up worse off than they started. The main thing I would say is trust your instincts. Listen to what a teacher says and try it out. It should make sense and they should be able to explain why. Singing is based on very natural functions and should feel like it makes sense when you do it. I also would say don't be afraid of the falsetto. It is actually the beginning of your true voice. That may not make sense to you right now based on your experience, but as you exercise it more it becomes the foundation for our complete voice. It is the youthful voice that we should base our singing on. But that takes quite a bit of exploration to understand.